What is the FreeBSD situation?

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Sun Nov 5 11:13:29 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 5 November 2017 at 09:17:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/4/2017 1:54 AM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

>>> The fact that we haven't officially tested that it works for
>>> years means be careful about attesting that it does work.
>>
>> It is working in Visual D since that time.
>
> Ok, but does that mean you're testing the TLS support on XP?
>
> I run dmd regularly on an XP box, but that just means dmd
> itself runs on XP. (I converted the front end of DMC++ to D,
> using DMD in -betterC mode, and XP is the last operating system
> that supports DOS programs. XP has the DOS DMC++ test suite on
> it.)

I don't think that's true. It's a 32bit/64bit division, not a
Windows version thing. A 32 bits installation can run 16 bits and
32 bits programs, a 64 bits version can run natively 32 bits and
64 bits programs. None can run all 3 modes natively.
I know with certainty that Windows 8.1 32 bits installation could
still run DOS and Windows 16 bits apps. I haven't seen evidence
to the contrary for Windows 10.
Windows XP was the last version that was installed massively in
32 bits mode. From Vista on, the proportion of 32 bits
installations (and thus losing 16 bits support) dwindeled.