What is the FreeBSD situation?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 6 22:25:48 UTC 2017

>  From the recent PR-related discussion I gather that FreeBSD 12 has made
> some breaking changes to file primitives such as stat.
>
> Do binaries built for pre-v12 crash on v12? If that's the case we should
> have two distinct build platforms, FreeBSD "legacy" and FreeBSD 12. They
> would be selected statically.
>
> IF older binaries don't crash, what mechanism is FreeBSD 12 using to
> identify old API calls?

Thanks to all who answered. From what I gathered from the two on-topic
versions. Like Walter, I'd be in favor of supporting the latest only.

Going slightly off-topic (ironically as will become obvious in a
second), a sign of maturity in our community would be to use forum
discussions as a catalyst and driver for work on new and existing
projects. This thread seems to suggest we could improve on that, seeing
that the majority of answers are off-topic and there is very little
factual information or work items once this thread lives its course.

I've been asked why I have reduced my presence in this forum - and
politely told it's being missed :o) - and the simple answer is I've
noticed the forum discussions produce few results outside the forum. I'm
still looking for the perfect formula that combines good forum
engagement with palpable work.

Thanks,

Andrei