What is the FreeBSD situation?

codephantom me at noyb.com
Tue Nov 7 09:34:53 UTC 2017

On Monday, 6 November 2017 at 22:25:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> it seems binary compatibility is not provided across major
> versions.

Correction: ABI changes 'may' occur between major releases, and
your binary may or may not run correctly, depending on whether
those ABI changes are related to anything your binaries does -
that is my understanding anyway. You can certainly take the DMD
binaries and run them on 12 though. Beyond that, it just depends
on what they're doing with regards to any change in the ABI. So
one must study those ABI changes carefully, and consider their
impact on DMD/PHOBOS etc...

e.g does DMD/PHOBOS make of the inode struct? If so, where? And,
what types are being used for storing the elements of that
struct? I'm not sure many of us are in a position to investigate
that any further.

> Like Walter, I'd be in favor of supporting the latest only.

Can I presume, by 'latest' you mean the latest 'release branch'
(which would be the 11.x branch).

If 'latest' actually means the CURRENT branch (aka HEAD), then
that is 12, and it would be a mistake if that's is only what D
was going to support (since most people wisely prefer to run a
stable release branch (e.g 10.x, 11,x).

If resources are limited, then I believe resources should be
prioritised towards the latest release branch (which is the 11.x
branch).