[OT] Windows dying

codephantom me at noyb.com
Tue Nov 7 11:12:19 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 at 08:53:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> No, the reason they don't improve is consumers don't need the
> performance.

I don't agree. Consumers would welcome more performance - and
many of us 'need' it too.

But cpu's have hit the heat barrier, and so manufacturers tend to
focus on more cores, better caching algorithms, and such...

but I am sure that consumers would find a 10GHz quad core
processor far more useful than a 4Ghz 24 core one.

Then you have the challenges of redesigning programming languages
and software development methodologies to take better advantage
of the multi-core thing...

There is also the problem of no real competition against Intel,
so real innovation is not occuring as rapidly as it once did.

What we really need, is to get rid of that heat barrier - which
means lots and lots  of money (potentially billions) into new
research... and without competition, why should Intel bother?
They can just do a few minor tweaks here and there, increment a
number, and call the tweaked i7 ..the i9.