[OT] Windows dying

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Nov 7 14:03:31 UTC 2017

On 07/11/2017 1:48 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 at 13:29:19 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>>>
>>> AMD Ryzen Threadripper:
>>>
>>> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
>>>

>> I do not trust that benchmark.
>
> Well, this is another one with a comparison of two products with similar
> price:
>
> http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-1950X/3936vs3932
>

> I think the Xeons might be for overcommited server situations. Larger
> caches and many threads. Sometimes people are more interested in
> responsiveness (prevent starvation) and not necessarily max speed. So if
> you do a lot of I/O system calls you might want the ability to run many
> threads at the same time and focus less on number crunching, perhaps?

That sounds an awful like the average user too ;)

>> But after looking at those numbers, I have a strange feeling that
>> Intel is pushing those i9's past 'safe' limits.
>
> I think they just turn off cores that does not work and put those chips
> into the lower end, and the high end is very expensive at $2000 (so
> maybe low yield or just greed :-)…

The way I think of it is that Xeon's get all the newest and greatest
features, with them slowly trickling down to the i-series. Invest in the
Xeon production line one generation and in next use it for i7's ext.
Basically R&D cost go all on the Xeon's and then eventually once its
paid off it goes straight to the consumers.

But i9 is looking like its a completely different beast to the rest of
the i-series with Intel actively adding new unique features to it. Quite
scary that this doesn't sound like a good move especially when those
features could very well make those cpu's last not very long.

Looks like they are changing tactic after the last 10 years or so. I do
wonder if you're on the right track and turning a Xeon into an i9 is
just a firmware upgrade...