[OT] Windows dying

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 15:00:44 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 at 14:43:14 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> The CPU-architecture generations follow a tic-toc pattern where
> the tics mean you have a new architecture and the toc means you
> have an improved manufacturing process. I don't think that has
> something to do with Xeon.

They actually changed this last year. Now it's Process (tick) ->
Architecture (tock) -> Optimization. Kaby Lake was the first
"optimization" step. People were kind of like it's not THAT much
better than Skylake.

I think of Xeon as Intel's brand for servers (though this may not
be entirely accurate). The above processor families (Skylake,
Kabylake, etc.) include Xeon and i7, etc. within them. Xeon is
usually similar to what you'd buy on the consumer side, but has
more features. My FreeNAS box at home has a Xeon in it so that I
can use ECC memory. Other people might use Xeon because it has
more cache or something.