[OT] Windows dying

Arjan arjan at ask.me.to
Tue Nov 7 16:01:27 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 at 13:59:26 UTC, codephantom wrote:

> But I think what really made it take off so fast and
> unexpectadly, was the convergence of mobile devices, mobile
> communication technology (i.e wifi, gps and stuff), and of
> course the internet... as well as the ability to find cheap
> labour overseas to build the produces on mass.

The thing is apple combined (at the right time) the various
things which made it very succesfull.
- they learned from napstar, people are interessted in (buying) a
single song => iPod + iTunes
- they 'copied' that concept over to the iPhone with appstore

For both they enabled not only business for themselfes but
created platforms on which many parties external to apple were
able to create succesfull business on.

iaw its not the device itself what made it succesfull, its
because it is part of a 'platform'....