[OT] mobile rising

codephantom me at noyb.com
Wed Nov 8 12:35:19 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 at 11:47:32 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Personally, I think that the best course of action in general
> as a developer is to try and make your software as
> cross-platform as reasonably possible and let folks run
> whatever they want to run. A lot of the OS-related problems we
> have stem from the fact that too often, software is written for
> a specific OS (and not just Windows software is guilty of that).

Well.. that was the role that POSIX was meant to play. Even
Windows was on board, sort of, for a short time. What a joke that
all turned out to be.

"Perfect application portability across UNIX-based OSes is
clearly beyond the realm of possibility." (from the 2016 paper
below)
-
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~vatlidak/resources/POSIXmagazine.pdf

(conclusion: "We believe that a new revision of the POSIX
standard is due, and we urge the research community to
investigate what that standard should be."

btw. I wonder if anyone has got the linux version of DMD x64 to
run on the Windows Subsystem for Linux (available in Windows 10 I
believe).