[OT] mobile rising

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 14:40:11 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 at 09:34:39 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 at 00:09:51 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 at 19:46:04 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> Not at all, it makes things easier certainly, but there's a
>>> reason why mobile devs always test on the actual devices,
>>> because there are real differences.
>>
>> Mostly with low level stuff in my experience.
>
> And what experience would that be?  I've admitted I've never
> developed for Apple platforms, but my understanding is that
> even leaving aside the completely different touch-first UI,
> there are significant differences.  I wonder what Mac apps you
> simply ported the UI over to iPhone and they just worked.

Writing code from scratch for both. No, of course you cannot port
it without a little bit of work as the base UI class is slightly
different. However it is overall the same Objective-C framework
design.

Quoting apple:

«If you've developed an iOS app, many of the frameworks available
in OS X should already seem familiar to you. The basic technology
stack in iOS and OSX are identical in many respects. But, despite
the similarities, not all of the frameworks in OS X are exactly
the same as their iOS counterparts»

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology_Overview/MigratingFromCocoaTouch/MigratingFromCocoaTouch.html

> I just said they're not going to dump it, so I don't know why
> you're going on about that.  If you mean their current lessened
> investment is not a good idea, it's because the old desktop OS
> doesn't matter as much, which is the whole point of this thread.

That would be an overall mistake as they would loose mindshare
among programmers, but nevertheless the desktop is a much more
mature environment.

>>> You are thinking too much short term here IMHO. The mobile
>> sector is rather volatile.
>
> I have no idea what this refers to: you have a bad habit of
> adding asides without any explation or non sequiturs, so that
> we're left stumped as to what you're talking about.

Over-quoting is spammy. So I don't, but here you go: The mobile
sector is more volatile than the desktop/laptop sector, hence it
would be a risky move to dump it. I think that was quite clear
from what I wrote though…

> I see, so your claim is that MS, Nokia, HP, Sony, all much
> larger companies than Apple or google at the time, could not
> have countered them even on a lucky day.  I wonder why this is,
> as they certainly had more money, you don't believe they're
> that bright? :)

No, it is because they didn't have the resources internally.
Money alone does not build teams or knowledge. Apple had worked
on similar technology for decades and could recycle the
frameworks for their desktop OS.

> Yet the businesses that did build Android, ie google, HTC, and
> so on, were much smaller than the corporate behemoths like HP
> or Sony that you claimed above couldn't do it.  Your claims
> about who could or couldn't do it make absolutely no sense.

Of course it does. They were not into operating systems and
frameworks. Sony a little bit by having the Playstation, but that
was very narrow and for a very narrow low level segment of
programmers.

> Their problem was likely that they got in too early and got
> discouraged, not that they were "getting in late."

Apple was also in too early and got discouraged, but they
reentered when the touch screen tech got better.