[OT] mobile rising

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:22:22 UTC 2017

I also think we should add to this discussion that Google was
hellbent on going forward with Android even when it was clearly
inferior. Apple tried to squish out Google's services from their
iOS products for a while. And that is exactly what Google tries
to prevent by funding things like Chrome and Android.

So for Google Chrome and Android does not have to make sense in
business terms, it is basically an anti-competitive tool to
protect their own hegemony (relative monopoly) by retaining
critical mass and making it difficult for competitors to build up
a competing product over time (you need a source of income while
your product is evolving from mediocre to great to do that).