Project Elvis

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Sat Nov 11 09:47:32 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 03:49:24 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 01:37:01 UTC, 12345swordy
> wrote:
>> You should take your own advice first, when you insult other
>> people by calling them "Microsoft fanboys". Take your snark
>> somewhere else.
>
> and btw. if you had gone back a few threads (instead of just
> jumping into a conversation to just have a go at me), then
> you'd know that it all started because i attempted to inject
> some humour into the converstation, and used a youtube video
> that made fun of the design of Windows 10 - in a humerous
> manner.
>
> What results from that, was some guy telling me that I was
> bashing on Adam. That i was anti this and anti that.
>
> Then others got involved too, trying to bash on me even further.
>
> The same thing happened when I mentioned my concern that 64bit
> D on Windows can only happen if the user is prepared to
> download GB's of propriatory, closed source, bloatware. When I
> did that, MSFT fanboys came out to dump on me, instead of
> saying..yeah..perhaps that might be a good way for D to proceed.
>
> So, if you're all willing to dish it out to me, you better be
> prepared to take some too!
>
> D's future will depend not on how well it ties into a
> propriatory o/s, but who well it runs in open source
> environments. Anyone who doesn't see that, doesn't understand
> whats going on in the world of software development. Even MSFT
> get that, and are now trying to port C# as quickly as possibly
> to other platforms to hold off the competition that's already
> here, and more to come.
>
> I think D is where it is, because it was developed on Windows
> (windows 32 bit it seems). Had it been developed on an open
> source operating system, I expect it would be miles ahead of
> where it currently is.
>
> If D is making Windows its platform priority, then it has to
> compete with exiting MSFT solutions on the platform, which in
> my mind, are far superior to anyting D can or will be able to
> provide. D should focus its attention elsewhere.
>
> That's just my opinion. Others can disagree. I don't mind
> disagreement. But I mind not being allowed to disagree!

Indeed, the strength of D is that it is portable among the big
platforms remaining. One of its drawbacks can be seen somehow as
an asset. Its lack of preferred GUI kit means that it is not
intimately bound to the user interface of that platform. Swift
and Objective-C are glued to Apple and outside of it are niche.
Same for C# on Windows. Java is portable but is a bitch to
distribute, especially on Windows where more often than not it
poses security risks that IT departments do not like.