[OT] mobile rising

solidstate1991 laszloszeremi at outlook.com
Wed Nov 15 03:15:04 UTC 2017

After all this flaming about Windows, mobile devices (I
personally prefer my desktop PC thanks to its "power", or at
least what it used to left, thanks to long unemployment time and
lack of income, have a Nokia Lumia which I cannot upgrade to W10
due to BS reasons, and I think open-source architectures will
kill off the proprietary ARM and x86 in the long run, not the
mobile platform the desktops/laptops(funny story is that my
mother tried to ditch desktop multiple times for the mobile, then
got back, same happened with one of my cousin after he realized
that pay-to-win games suck)), can we get back on rails? While its
true that Windows and desktop is losing its place, we need to
support Windows on a much higher level as long as there's a large
number of PCs out there. Game development would highly benefit
from D thanks to its all-in-one approach, probably could cut a
few millions off from AAA game development. Also audio-engineers
are switching to Windows, thanks to Apple scrapping the IO on
their products (I'm also a digital artist, have to stay with
Windows due to drivers, software, and ease of use).

Walter Bright: What's the licensing state of DMC and OPTLINK? Can
it made open-source? If yes, we should patch in a COFF32/64
support, maybe even port it to D for easier development. I can
spend some of my time working on the DLL support if needed.