Zig mentions D in justifying its existence

codephantom me at noyb.com
Thu Nov 16 03:17:42 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 02:48:27 UTC, Tony wrote:
> I am surprised C hasn't tried to become a "better C". Add a
> string datatype (and maybe other datatypes like datetime). Add
> an array type (static and/or dynamic) that doesn't suffer from
> "array decay" when passed to a function or returned from a
> function. Provide an alternative to the ridiculous syntax for
> declaring a function pointer. And copy the scope() guard from
> D. They could also add some data structure code to the standard
> library. Not a lot of changes and suddenly the language is a
> lot more usable for all those GNU programs (and any like them)
> that are written in C.

What I really love about the evolution of C, is that 'it can'
resist giving in to those temptations ;-)

I still have 'The C Programming Language' (1988) next to my pc,
and I enjoy glancing over it now and then, knowing that
everything in it is still valid. ;-)

And anyway, one change..always leads to another..and then
another..and then another......

resist! resist!

A better C belongs in a new language.