Introducing Nullable Reference Types in C#. Is there hope for D, too?

codephantom me at noyb.com
Fri Nov 17 10:45:13 UTC 2017

On Friday, 17 November 2017 at 09:44:01 UTC, rumbu wrote:

> I know your aversion towards C#, but this not about C#, it's
> about safety. And safety is one of the D taglines.

Well the nice thing about that discussion (at:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2017/11/15/nullable-reference-types-in-csharp/ ), was that not everyone agreed. So maybe there is hope for C# yet.

Indeed many C# users seemed to 'strongly' disagree, and good
points were made for 'not' making the change.

Sounds to me, like too many people are writing incorrect code in
the first place, and want to offload responsibility onto
something other than themself. This is why we have bloated
runtime checks these days.

I've always thought writing the correct code was the better
option anyway.
Maybe even (god forbid)..  test it.

As for safety in D....it's already there.

module test;

import std.stdio;

static immutable Exception TheYouIdiot_Exception = new
Exception("You idiot!");

class Test
{
     int Value;
}

void main()
{
     Test t; //let assume this was intended. Otherwise the fault
starts here.

     // ..

     if(!t)
         throw TheYouIdiot_Exception;  // problem solved.

     t.Value++;