DMD PR management hits a new low

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 13:08:55 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 18 November 2017 at 07:52:43 UTC, Michael V.
Franklin wrote:
> I'll just refer you to this comment:
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6947#issuecomment-345423103
>
>> Manually merging this pull as it sat around long enough
>> waiting to be marked approved that it accumulated github's max
>> 1000 status updates per commit id and won't ever see more
>> until a new commit becomes current for it. Let that sink in...
>> over 1000 builds done for a single pull request before it got
>> marked for merging.

It’s time for us to understand that letting PRs rot in the open
and uncertain state is even worse then outrightly rejecting
controversial work.

It damages reputation, deters future contributions and clutters
the queue.

I’d suggest to put on a grim reaper’s robe and cutdown things
that are not attended.
If we were  too eager to close, no worries - just create a new PR.

> Can we get some resources allocated to this, please?  What can
> I do?

Review stuff mostly. To close a ton of PRs we’d need executive
decision.