Question about deprecation process

Michael V. Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 18 23:12:45 UTC 2017

I've resurrected a PR that fixes an implementation bug.
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7332

The existing implementation does not comply with the spec.  The
PR fixes that, but it may cause breakage, so in the original PR,
there was a preference to have it go through the deprecation
process.

The deprecation process documented at
https://dlang.org/deprecate.html#Imaginary%20and%20complex%20types gives the following procedure (kindof).

Spec - Removal from the Specification
Dep - The compiler warns by default, issues an error with the -de
switch, and can be silenced with the -d switch
Error - It is an error to use the feature
Gone - The feature is completely gone

While I'm sure there are exceptions, *typically* for how long, or
how many releases, is the Deprecation warning to remain in place
before the Error is released?  Also, for how long, or how many
releases, is the Error to remain in place before the feature is
removed?  Is that currently documented anywhere?

Thanks,
Mike