DMD PR management hits a new low

user1234 user1234 at 12.nl
Sat Nov 18 23:21:08 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 18 November 2017 at 07:52:43 UTC, Michael V.
Franklin wrote:
> I'll just refer you to this comment:
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6947#issuecomment-345423103
>
>> Manually merging this pull as it sat around long enough
>> waiting to be marked approved that it accumulated github's max
>> 1000 status updates per commit id and won't ever see more
>> until a new commit becomes current for it. Let that sink in...
>> over 1000 builds done for a single pull request before it got
>> marked for merging.
>
> When this happens the auto-tester can no longer update the
> status of the PR.  There are other PRs also suffering from this
> problem, just to name two:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6435
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6260
>
> Since the auto-tester can't update its status, it appears as
> though the auto-tester has stalled with the last status update:
> e.g
> #6435: auto-tester — Pass: 3, In Progress: 2, Pending: 5
> #6220: auto-tester — Pending: 10
>
> I'm not sure what to do about this at this time.  The PRs could
> be woken up by the original contributor, but submitting a new
> commit, but it appears some of the contributors have lost
> patience and moved on.  I'm trying to revive a few, but will my
> PRs suffer in similar fate?
>
> I'm sorry for being negative, but this is shameful, IMO.  Some
> of the PRs are very simple, and just need someone with
> authority to make a decision (e.g. #6435 and #6260)
>
> I'm thinking about creating a monthly list of neglected PRs and
> submit them to the forum on the 1st of every month to bring
> some attention to them, but it seems that same information is
> already available through Github's interface, and I don't know
> if such an effort would be effective.  But, when the
> auto-tester can no longer update the PR's status, it make
> reviewing and making a decision about them, *much* more of a
> hassle.  We need to prevent PRs from getting to that state.
>
> Can we get some resources allocated to this, please?  What can
> I do?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

For comparison:

-
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pulls?page=1&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-asc: least recent update for a PR was 8 days old
-
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-asc: least recent update for a PR was 2 years and 7 months old, and it's a "pre-boostrap" one.

Now look at this:

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/45244#issuecomment-345455131
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/45501#issuecomment-343992636
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/45558#issuecomment-343497687

It seems that they close systematically after a month or so.
You need to hire a vilain that will do this dirty job for you (or
maybe even use a bot)...everybody will hate him but the stack of
folder on the desktop will get smaller.