Precise GC state

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 20:13:31 UTC 2017

On 11/23/17 02:47, Nordlöw wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 13:44:22 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>> Thats a linker(?) limitation for OMF (or whatever is the win32 object
>> file format).
>
> Was just fixed!
>
> What improvements to D's concurrency model is made possible with this
> precise GC?
>
> I recall Martin Nowak saying at DConf 2016 that
>
> a precise GC will enable data with isolated or immutable indirections to
> be safely moved between threads

Rainer is awesome!

That is certainly one aspect that it will enable.

I would focus on a generational GC first for two reasons. The first is
that you can delay the scans of the later gens if the Gen0 (nursery) has
enough space, so for a lot of programs it would result in a significant
cut-down in collection times.

The second is that you still typically have to stop the execution of the
thread on the Gen0 collection (the objects most likely to be hot). So
with a non-generational concurrent collector you have to stop the thread
for the entirety of the scan, because you have no way to know which
objects are hot and which are cold.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender