Chocolatey Packages for DMD, LDC, and GDC

Manuel Maier mjmaier at gmx.de
Sat Nov 25 23:38:06 UTC 2017

As some of you may know, there is a dmd package on the chocolatey
community feed: https://chocolatey.org/packages/dmd

This makes it as easy as saying...

choco install dmd

... to get dmd on ones machine (once chocolatey is up and
running). Unfortunately, this package is well behind the actual
latest release of dmd.

I'm currently adding new packages to chocolatey for ldc and
dmd.install (i.e. using the dmd windows installer) that update
completely automatically using AppVeyor and scheduled builds.

The ldc package seems to work fine so far, since it's just a
simple zip file and I can pick up the latest version easily on
github
(https://api.github.com/repos/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/latest). It's already submitted to the chocolatey community and just needs to be reviewed by a moderator (see here: https://chocolatey.org/packages/ldc).

The dmd.install package, however, is unable to run completely
silent, even when I pass /S. This is because the NSIS scripts
prompt the user for input with message boxes, ignoring whether
the package was invoked as silent or not. For that reason I have
created this pull request:
https://github.com/dlang/installer/pull/272

The dmd.install chocolatey package can be found here:
https://chocolatey.org/packages/dmd.install

I've asked the current maintainer of the dmd chocolatey package
to add me as an additional maintainer so that I can include the
non-installer version of dmd as an automatically updated package
(using http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/LATEST). I also plan
to add older versions of dmd for people that require specific
versions of dmd.

And finally I also plan to do this for gdc, but I haven't begun
work with that one yet. But I think that won't be a problem.

Once all this is up and running, I'll post an announcement about
all this. Thought I'd just share what's going on. :)