Precise GC state

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 20:00:10 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 26 November 2017 at 19:11:08 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> We can't even have different heaps for immutable and mutable
> stuff, because it's very common to construct something as
> mutable and then cast it to immutable (either explicitly or

This is easy to fix, introduce a uniquely owned type (isolated)
that only can transition to immutable.

So it is more about being willing to tighten up the semantics.
Same thing with GC, but everything has a cost.

That said Adam has a point with getting more users, it isnt
obvious that the costs wouldnt be offset by increased interest.
Anyway, it seems like C# and Swift are pursuing the domain D is
in by gradually expanding into more performance oriented
programming mechanisms... We'll see.