Precise GC state

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 10:23:29 UTC 2017

On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 10:13:41 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> But in a discussion about GC, some technical details might
> prove to be very useful to those of us following this
> discussion.

Precise scanning of pointers makes sense when you have many
cachelines on the GC with no pointers in them. But if you mostly
have pointers (a large graph or a tree) then it makes little
difference.

You need to add a more extensive whole program type analysis
where you prove that the GC memory heap isnt reachable from a
type... I.e. "pointers reachable through class T can provably
never point into the a GC heap in this specific program, so
therefore we can ignore all pointers to T".