Thoughts about D

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Mon Nov 27 11:01:18 UTC 2017

On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 01:05:08 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 00:14:40 UTC, IM wrote:
>> - D is unnecessarily a huge language. I remember in DConf
>> 2014, Scott Meyers gave a talk about the last thing D needs,
>> which is a guy like him writing a lot of books covering the
>> many subtleties of the language. However, it seems that the D
>> community went ahead and created exactly this language!
>
> I hear this argument a lot, about this language or that.
>
> It has become an argument void of any real value, in my view.
>
> The reason is, programming needs have changed a lot, the
> problems being solved have changed alot, there is a great
> diversity in how people think about solving those problems, and
> a greater need to solve problems that are not solvable with
> current langauges.

+1: I'd say D is sufficiently sized for the things I try to
accomplish -- meaning I wouldn't want it to be smaller. I am not
aware of any other language that is as much an enabler as D is. D
allows magic to happen when you need magic, although it arguably
takes time to learn to be a magician. The good thing is that,
simultaneously, people can be productive (safely) writing
ordinary code without the need to be an expert.