DIP 1006 - Preliminary Review Round 1

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Nov 27 19:20:53 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 26 November 2017 at 12:09:37 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 26/11/2017 11:59 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> One suggestion: replace -release=assert with -release=body, so
>> in the above, you would have:
>>
>>      -release=body,in,out,invariant
>>
>> ... which has the nice intuitive property of specifying _which
>> bits of code_ release criteria will be applied to.
>>
>> In other words, -release=body would result in asserts being
>> removed from function bodies _and only there_.  That would
>> make clearer that we're not removing asserts from e.g.
>> unittests (or indeed contracts or invariants).
>
> Agreed that looks good +1

What would be the appropriate way to follow up on that idea?  The
last I saw DIP 1006 was undergoing formal review, but the end of
that period seems to have passed with no further follow-up.

I could always write up an alternative DIP, but I don't know if
that would be the most constructive way forward.