A note on troll engagement

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 19:46:26 UTC 2017

On 11/27/17 2:30 PM, Mengu wrote:
> On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 17:44:54 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> All: we have had an increase in troll posts lately. Please avoid
>> engaging them and resist the urge to correct assertions no matter how
>> wrong, indignating, etc. The best response to troll posts is spending
>> the time that would elsewhere go in flamewars, on good work. Feel free
>> to use your newsreader's "killfile" feature to filter away posts from
>> aliases you assess have a net negative contribution to this forum.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrei
>
> we should switch to a forum software. enough is enough. we can't edit
> posts, we can't get rid of spammers and trolls. we don't have proper
> code formatting / syntax highlighting. what is holding you guys back?

We can get rid of spammers and trolls. It just won't happen for those
who use the mailing list or NNTP (though to a certain degree, NNTP can
remove posts).

But editing posts doesn't work with NNTP. You could potentially "hold
back" posts from going to NNTP for a probation period, for those cases
where you accidentally hit send, or you immediately see a typo. But once
it's on the NNTP server, it's set in stone. I kind of like it that way,
anyway. No more revisionist history :)

Syntax highlighting can work just fine, it just will only be on the
forum. I think Vladimir would be happy to entertain updates to the forum
software:

https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed

-Steve