Looking for a job in USA

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Nov 27 20:07:34 UTC 2017

On Friday, 24 November 2017 at 05:36:52 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Friday, 24 November 2017 at 04:33:52 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> These posts have nothing to do with D, so please stop posting
>> them. This isn't a political forum.
>
> Also, perhaps you could delegate the policing of off topic
> threads to someone else..??
>
> We could all use your attention elsewhere:
>
> https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&component=dmd&product=D&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&short_desc=d&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr
>
> btw. I read somewhere that this forum software can't delete
> threads. That sounds pretty silly. Even sillier if it's true.

It's not true, despite what Mike said earlier.  For example,
there was clear commercial spam posted to the Announce newsgroup
earlier this month, which I and others noted at the time, and
that entire thread has been deleted from the forum but not from
the mailing list archive:

http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/digitalmars-d-announce/2017-November/046642.html

Also, many posts in this forum thread were similarly deleted.  Of
course, emails sent out to the mailing list cannot be unsent,
whereas I'm not sure what's done on the D newsgroup as I've never
used it.  It has been said that you shouldn't respond to such
spam posts, but my guess is that's only to make it easier to
remove the thread, by not having to hunt down all the replies or
something.

I agree that if Walter is the one moderating the forum, as
appears to be the case, there's got to be some other way of doing
it, as that cannot be the best use of his time.