A note on troll engagement

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 28 02:43:40 UTC 2017

> I don't use the web interface for the newsgroup, and I have no interest in
> doing so. I use the mailing list. The same goes for many of the major
> contributors. Others use the newsgroup directly. IMHO, being stuck with any
> form of forum software would be worse than being able to use my e-mail
> client like I do now. Sure, editing posts would occasionally be nice, but it
> rarely matters much, and I've never seen the lack of formatting or syntax
> highlighting as being much of a problem. Plain text generally works for the
> sort of communication that we have here - certainly it's not enough of a
> problem for me to want to deal with forum software instead of a proper
> mailing list.

Another advantage to our method is the "database" is just a pile of text files.
There is no need for any program to decode it other than "cat". Also, the text
files can be processed for display in any number of ways, such as:

   http://forum.dlang.org/group/general

or even:

   http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/index.html