Thoughts about D

John j at t.com
Tue Nov 28 02:52:24 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 02:26:34 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
wrote:
> On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 17:35:53 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grostad wrote:
>> On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 16:44:41 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
>> wrote:
>>> I last used C++ professionally in 2015, and we were still
>>> rolling out C++11. std::string_view is part of C++17. You're
>>> calling me stupid for not having already known about it.
>>> (Yes, yes, you were sufficiently indirect to have a fig leaf
>>> of deniability.)
>>
>> I'n not talking about you obviously. I am talking about using
>> languages stupidly...
>
> You can ask your local HR representative how much better it is
> to say "your ideas are stupid" than "you are stupid".

Could ask Linus about that, think I recall something about baby
sloth dropped on it's head retardation level, or something.

>> C++ is very much batteries not included... Which is good for
>> low level programming.
>
> So you're saying that having a body of well tested code that
> does what you want already but *might* be making performance
> tradeoffs that don't work for your use case, is *worse* than
> not having it.
>
> Well, it's a heterodox opinion to be sure.

For C++ that's boost. Most people avoid it cause of all the bloat
anyways.

>>> It is often useful to talk about real-world workloads when
>>> discussing performance.
>>
>> Well, in that case Java was sufficiently fast, so all
>> languages came out the same...
>
> You might try reading my first post.
>
> Java: 140ms to print "Hello world"
>
> D: 50ms to turn a 400kb subtex document into an epub

Were you including startup times? Then that's not a very fair
comparison. Lots of applications aren't just start and stop
frequently. These benchmarks are all but pointless for
performance anyways. Like when someone updated the D sort
functions, they made an article about how much faster sorting was
in D than C++. Well no shit, you just spent a bunch of time
optimizing it based on some tiny stupid test.

Anyways if you think that's a valid comparison of performance you
have no idea what's going on.