First Impressions!

A Guy With an Opinion aguywithanopinion at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 04:05:05 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 03:37:26 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:

> Its on our TODO list.
>
> Allocators need to come out of experimental and some form of RC
> before we tackle it again.
>
> In the mean time https://github.com/economicmodeling/containers
> is pretty good.

That's good to hear.

> I keep saying it, if you don't have unit tests built in, you
> don't care about code quality!

I just like not having to create a throwaway project to test my
code. It's nice to just use unit tests for what I used to create
console apps for and then it forever ensures my
code works the same!

> You don't need to bother with them for most code :)

That seems to be what people here are saying, but that seems so
sad...

> Doesn't mean the other languages are right either.

That is true, but I'm still unconvinced that making the person's
program likely to error is better than initializing a number to
0. Zero is such a fundamental default for so many things. And it
would be consistent with the other number types.

> If you need a wstring, use a wstring!
>
> Be aware Microsoft is alone in thinking that UTF-16 was
> awesome. Everybody else standardized on UTF-8 for Unicode.

I do come from that world, so there is a chance I'm just
comfortable with it.