Thoughts about D

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 06:24:38 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 06:12:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/27/2017 9:11 PM, rikki cattermole wrote:
>>>
>> We have discussed this on Discord a little bit lately.
>> What we are hoping for is a D dmc+libc updated to use dmd-be.
>> Potentially allowing us to use LLVM's linker but with dmc's
>> libc as well. Giving us out of the box experience for 64bit.
>>
>> It would be nice, but well, your site would need a lot of
>> changes to go in this direction.
>
> Yes, I've thought about making dmc++ 64 bit, but there'd be a
> fair amount of work (mostly upgrading SNN to 64 bits.)

We could also convert that libc to D ;)
Seriously betterC mode would make that way easier and more fun,
is it on GitHub?

Actually Herb Sutter shared once that Microsoft used C++ (as in
templates C++) to reimplement a significant chunk of its libc
with great success. Less code, less ifdef hell and macro abuse I
think were presented as advantages.