Thoughts about D

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:02:33 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 02:26:34 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
wrote:
> On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 17:35:53 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grostad wrote:
>> On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 16:44:41 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
>> wrote:
>>> I last used C++ professionally in 2015, and we were still
>>> rolling out C++11. std::string_view is part of C++17. You're
>>> calling me stupid for not having already known about it.
>>> (Yes, yes, you were sufficiently indirect to have a fig leaf
>>> of deniability.)
>>
>> I'n not talking about you obviously. I am talking about using
>> languages stupidly...

You wrote "std::string does the same thing. So if I reimplemented
subtex naively in C++, its performance would be closer to the C#
version than to the D version."

"Naively" would mean that you didnt know better or that an
alternative would be complex, but later on you acknowledged that
doing it with slices would be better, but that you could not be
bothered.  So you know better, but would rather choose to do it
stupedly...

I have never said that you are stupid, what I said was the
equivalent of  "std::string does the same thing. So if I
reimplemented subtex stupidly in C++, its performance would be
closer to the C# version than to the D version."

That line of reasoning is silly. I know that you know better,
because you clearly stated so in the post I responded to.

> allocating memory isn't slow simply because it requires
> executing a large number of instructions.

Thats debatable...