Thoughts about D

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:33:20 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 04:35:04 UTC, IM wrote:
> On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 08:33:42 UTC, IM wrote:
>> - More exposure. I sometimes feel like there isn't enough D
>> material to consume on a regular basis (and I and certainly
>> many others are eager to learn more and more about the
>> language). i.e. one blog post (weekly?), and a single DConf
>> annually is not enough. In the C++ world, there's always
>> something to read (various blog posts) or something to watch
>> (CppCon, C++Now, Meeting C++, code::dive, Pacific++, ...etc.)
>>

> What are the plans to increase exposure?

This is something that has gone in fits and starts over the years
because of a lack of dedicated manpower, but the pace has been
gradually to picking up. As of recently, I'm working on several
tasks in this direction, big and small, with the support of the D
Foundation. For example, we now have a D Language Foundation
channel on youtube [1] where I'm currently in the process of
collecting DConf videos that are scattered around different sites
and accounts (working on 2014 first, since several of the video
links on that edition of dconf.org were broken). It's not ready
for announcement yet, but I hope to be there by the end of the
year. There are a number of other things I'm looking at that have
tended to slip through the cracks because they've been overlooked
or no one has stepped in to do them.

On the blog, I would love it if I could keep up a steady pace of
once a week (I optimistically suggested twice-weekly postings
when I first pitched it!), but I have neither the time nor the
depth, for the sort of content we need, to maintain that pace
myself. I'm always open to proposals for new material -- guest
post ideas, project highlight suggestions, anything I can
evaluate for suitability.

That's only a part of the story though. There are D blogs out
there other than the official one, but they're quiet for long
periods of time. I want to see people writing about their
projects, posting daily/weekly/monthly progress reports,
live-streaming code sessions, writing articles for other web
sites (like gamedev.net), initiating conversations on reddit
(particularly on /r/d_language [2], the recent updating of which
was another of the little tasks that needed doing), sharing D
examples in other programming forums, filling in the holes in our
Wiki and Wikipedia... the same stuff C++ users do at scale.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DNdmeE-_lS6VhCVydkVvQ
[2] https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/