Chocolatey Packages for DMD, LDC, and GDC

Manuel Maier mjmaier at gmx.de
Tue Nov 28 19:04:06 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 17:25:35 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2017-11-28 10:09, Atila Neves wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the work. And ugh about the installer requiring
>> user intervention, I was literally just about to write a
>> script to install dmd on a Windows dev box, remembered I saw
>> something about chocolatey in the NG, and came here to read.
>> Not happy with the current state of affairs...
>
> You can install DMD on Windows using DVM [1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm

I didn't know about that tool yet, but I like the idea! However,
when I played around with it just now, I ran into the "Cannot
find dmd-2.0.x.x.bat file" issue [1]. And yes, I misread the
installation instructions (thought it said "run <dvm> install
dmd"). Then, once dvm was properly installed, I didn't get that
message anymore. I tried installing dmd 2.076.0 and it apparently
succeeded in that, but `dvm use 2.076.0` didn't appear to do
anything... So all in all the application seems quite rough
around the edges and doensn't _feel_ very reliable.

Another thing I don't think it does is patching the sc.ini with
Visual Studio environment variables, like the dmd installer does.

[1] https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm/issues/36