Thoughts about D

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Wed Nov 29 23:36:47 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 at 16:57:36 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> While generally I would still use fullblown D rather than
> BetterC for my projects, the bloat from druntime/phobos does
> still bother me at the back of my mind.  IIRC, the Phobos docs
> used to state that the philosophy for Phobos is pay-as-you-go.
> As in, if you don't use feature X, the code and associated data
> that implements feature X shouldn't even appear in the
> executable. It seems that we have fallen away from that for a
> while now.  Perhaps it's time to move D back in that direction.

If there specific apps where druntime and/or phobos bloat is
thought to be too high, it might be worth trying the new LDC
support for building a binary with druntime and phobos compiled
with LTO (Link Time Optimization). I saw reduced binary sizes on
my apps, it'd be interesting to hear other experiences.