Thoughts about D

A Guy With a Question aguywithanquestion at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 02:04:36 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 00:23:10 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 00:05:10 UTC, Michael V.
> Franklin wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 at 16:57:36 UTC, H. S. Teoh
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Doesn't this mean that we should rather focus our efforts on
>>> improving druntime instead of throwing out the baby with the
>>> bathwater with BetterC?
>>
>> Exactly!  We should be making a better D, not a better C.
>>
>> Mike
>
> There is no better C, than C, full stop.
>
> -betterC  should become ..   -slimD
>
> But we really do need a focus on both -slimD and -bloatyD
>
> For D to be successful, it needs to be a flexible language that
> enables programmer choice. We don't all have the same problems
> to solve.
>
> C is not successful because of how much it constrains you.

I'm personally a big believer that the thing that will replace C
is going to be something that is flexible, but more than anything
prevents the security bugs that plague the web right now. Things
like heartbleed are preventable with safety guarantees that don't
prevent fast code. Rust has some good ideas, but so does D.