First Impressions!

A Guy With a Question aguywithanquestion at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 18:32:46 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 17:56:58 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Thursday, November 30, 2017 03:37:37 Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Language-wise, I think that most of the UTF-16 is driven by the
> fact that Java went with UCS-2 / UTF-16, and C# followed them
> (both because they were copying Java and because the Win32 API
> had gone with UCS-2 / UTF-16). So, that's had a lot of
> influence on folks, though most others have gone with UTF-8 for
> backwards compatibility and because it typically takes up less
> space for non-Asian text. But the use of UTF-16 in Windows,
> Java, and C# does seem to have resulted in some folks thinking
> that wide characters means Unicode, and narrow characters
> meaning ASCII.

> - Jonathan M Davis

I think it also simplifies the logic. You are not always looking
to represent the codepoints symbolically. You are just trying to
see what information is in it. Therefore, if you can practically
treat a codepoint as the unit of data behind the scenes, it
simplifies the logic.