DIP88 Named Parameters, Status?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Oct 1 02:21:16 UTC 2017

On Sunday, October 01, 2017 01:54:24 Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> Hoping that someone will chime in and answer the original
> question.  It's likely that only Walter or Andrei can answer it.
>
> Is it a waste of time for me to put effort into renewing this
> DIP?  Is it dead on arrival or is there a chance it could be
> accepted?

Literally, only Walter and Andrei could answer that, because they're the
only ones making the decision. Based on what they've said in the past, I
would not expect it to be accepted, but it's up to them, and the most that
any of the rest of us can do is speculate based on what Walter and Andrei
have stated in the past. At bare minimum, I can guarantee that you would
have to come up with a very compelling argument as to why a library solution
really doesn't cut it, because their answer is almost always no when a
library solution can solve the problem - and there are plenty of cases where
someone has tried to argue that something should be done in the language
because it's less ugly that way, and that rarely seems to get anyone very
far.

In any case, historically around here, folks asking whether it's worth their
time to do something before they do it really don't get a yes or no. The
only way to know for sure is to do it.

- Jonathan M Davis