D on quora ...

Mengu mengukagan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 00:41:44 UTC 2017

On Friday, 6 October 2017 at 17:14:51 UTC, Rion wrote:
> https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-review-of-D-programming-language
>
> It seems that D still has the GC being mentioned up to today.
>
> Maybe its better to move the standard library slower to a non
> gc version in the future...

as a d user, i do not give a single flying fuck about manual
memory management. i love gc. period. please let gc be my guest
and clean up everything for me. i have other problems like d /
dmd / phobos failing me on freebsd; vibe.d working amazing on
linux and throwing some random shit on freebsd.

d is better than java, let alone c++. they both are crap.
garbage. incredibly explicit and verbose. yet they get work done
for other people. and these people, since the inception of d are
throwing random arguments against d. they never ran out of
arguments. it was two std libs, it was two d versions, it was
lack of 3rd party libs, it was lack of giant corp support, it was
lack of community / resources, it was and it will be something
for those people. until they decide to shut the fuck up and
actually give d a try. just like great people we get here
everyday.

a big problem of d is that it is a play-dough for many people
here. they don't run into problems with d because they are mostly
not eating their own dog food or incredible experts at d.
(remember qtd guys?) if we have 100 wtf moments per hour, they
probably have like 1-2 per year. they do more abstract stuff
rather than concrete stuff. (atila & co, manu, sociomantic
people, jacob and some more are exceptions). they are blind to
newcomer problems. they also have prejudices like assuming you
know all the low level stuff beforehand.

when your beloved language (or its toolchain) screws things up
for the app you wrote and deployed and will be used by millions
of people per year, you have more problems than you imagined
earlier and gc is not one of them.