D on quora ...

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 7 06:19:01 UTC 2017

On 10/6/2017 10:19 PM, Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> What if we stop focusing on the C/C++ people so much? The like their
> tools and have no perceivable interest in moving away from them
> (Stockholm Syndrome much?). The arguments the use are primarily meant
> as defensive ploys, because they compare everything to C/C++ and when
> it doesn't match in some way or another the other language must be
> deficient. They've already decided that C/C++ is the meter stick
> against which all other languages are to be judged. Unsurprisingly,
> nothing that is NOT C/C++ meets their exacting demands.
>
> I saw we ditch the lot and focus on the large languages where D can
> get some traction (C#/Java).

Or recognize that painting huge diverse groups as if there's a single
brush with which to do so is a huge fallacy.  Consider that the two
leaders, as well as a large number of the contributing developers, come
from the c++ community and that's not a bad thing, but rather a big part
of _why_ they came to D.

As always, focusing on the users of the language tends to pay a lot more
dividends than focusing on nay sayers.  Luckily, that's how things tend
to proceed here, so yay for that.