D on quora ...

AB ab396356 at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 7 08:16:57 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 at 06:19:01 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:

> As always, focusing on the users of the language tends to pay a
> lot more dividends than focusing on nay sayers.  Luckily,
> that's how things tend to proceed here, so yay for that.

Feel free to ignore me then. I'll have to join this conversation
as a naysayer: D is too little too late. It should have been
competing with C++ since at least the early 90s. C++ should have
**been** D.

Do you know why I'm not using D right now? Because I'm already
invested in C++. Also I can get a prebuilt C++14 compiler running
on a Jurassic-dated FreeDOS; meanwhile you've abandoned Windows
XP. Where D doesn't tread, C++ persists unchallenged. What will
happen when Microsoft drops Windows 7, are you going to drop it
too?

So what can you do now, other than abandon all hope? You could
standardize D ("ISO/IEC DLANG:2020"), officially endorse and
support an "official" **standalone** IDE for it (so that it won't
be a one-man two-user project), and cross your fingers hoping
that C++ will run out of steam before D does.

Or, you can continue talking about GC and call me a troll. In
which case, I'll be under yonder bridge.