gdc is in

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Oct 7 10:24:38 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 at 09:54:41 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 7 October 2017 at 04:46, Joakim via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>

>> Yes, the gdc downloads page hasn't been updated in 9 months:
>>
>> https://gdcproject.org/downloads
>>
>> By comparison, ldc is at the ddmd 2.074 frontend, which has
>> been downloaded 7000 times in the last month since it was
>> released:
>>
>> http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=ldc-developers&repository=ldc
>>
>> The gdc devs should put out a new release with a more
>> up-to-date frontend and announce it, so that all this work
>> they've done gets more use.
>
> Why don't _you_ help put out a release?  There are plenty of
> ready-made packages available to distributions from Slackware
> to Archlinux and everything inbetween.

Heh, I don't use GPL software if I can avoid it, so I'd never use
gdc, even if it's a new release.  It's good that others are
packaging up newer versions of gdc, but John and I are simply
pointing out that the official releases page being behind hurts
the perception of gdc.

I understand that you've been very busy with getting gdc into gcc
and that there's not much manpower helping you out, but we're
suggesting that you release a binary, even if just a beta like
ldc does, and announce it to help change that perception.  Most
people don't read the gdc forum, which is one of the reasons I've
been posting on gdc progress here, even though I'd never use or
contribute to it.

Regardless, there are D devs who'd like to use gdc, so I'm just
trying to help you and them out.