D on quora ...

user1234 user1234 at 12.ie
Sat Oct 7 18:31:46 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 at 15:12:08 UTC, Random D user wrote:
> Actually, Manual Memory Management is slow and D's GC is slower.

Allocators should not work without an internal state. The fact
that the heap chunk you get is mallocated or gcallocated
shouldn't be a concern. The data structure can still use internal
policies about how to request memory.

At the same time with allocators it's another problem. I'd say
that the old-fashioned strategies shouldn't slow down the
growing, even if the memory provider is better.
I don't know if you understand what i mean but in short:

     Appender!(SpecializedAllocator, int[])

shouldn't be slowest than

     Appender!(int[])

despite of the internal tweak that already exist. With allocators
the situation is a bit confuse: who does provide the improvement ?