[OT] vim tip with column limits

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Oct 11 08:06:39 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 07:59:51 Eduard Staniloiu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Monday, 9 October 2017 at 13:38:18 UTC, lithium iodate wrote:
> > On Monday, 9 October 2017 at 00:24:02 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> >
> > wrote:
> >>[…]
> >>
> > Thanks for the tip!
>
> You might also want to use automatic word wrapping [0] for 120
> chars.
>
> Cheers,
> Eduard
>
> [0] - http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Automatic_word_wrapping

That's also potentially a viable solution, but personally, I've never
particularly liked how vim's word wrapping behaves, and I've generally
avoided it. Simply knowing where the line limits are so that I know when
I've gone too far works well for me.

Other really useful stuff along those lines has been highlighting tabs and
any trailing whitespace in red. So, I always know that it's there and needs
to be removed (though that meant that I had to adjust my .vimrc when I was
unlucky enough to have to use tabs where I was working). I don't generally
have vim do much for me automatically (cindent is about the only automatic
behavior that I have on that I can think of). Rather, I know what commands I
need to do what I want or add commands that do it if that helps my
productivity, and then I use the commands when I need them.

- Jonathan M Davis