My first experience as a D Newbie

Dennis Cote private at secret.com
Thu Oct 12 03:50:31 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 at 01:26:33 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

> You have to fetch it first if you don't already have it:
> dub fetch dlangide
> dub run dlangide
>
> Of course, you might still have an issue...

I still have an issue on macOS using latest Homebrew version of
dmd and dub.

It seems like it builds with one deprecation warning, but fails
to run.

I fetched into an empty directory then run. All build and error
message are in the link below:

https://pastebin.com/FLQHwGXf

It looks like SLD2 is missing, so I installed it via Homebrew and
tried again. This time it runs but displays a window full of
micro sized text and icons. It is barely readable. The link below
leads to a screenshot showing the dlangide window and Dlang.org
open in Safari for comparison.

http://tinypic.com/r/20jiico/9

Not trying to slam dlangide (in fact it looks promising), but
these kind of issues, when following the instructions given, show
how incomplete or untested instructions can lead new users to
have a frustrating first experience with D.

Dennis Cote