My first experience as a D Newbie

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu Oct 12 08:20:45 UTC 2017

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 08:05:04 Dmitry via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 at 22:20:01 UTC, Rion wrote:
> > Its probably more the fact that most of the developers use Unix
> > based system for development, be it OSx or Linux. As a result
> > Windows is the overlooked system what results in a lack of
> > testing.
>
> I already posted some statistic:
>
> A survey of developers (about 15K people) from Russian IT site.
> Windows ~67%, Linux ~20%, MacOS ~11% (biggest part of these
> Linux/MacOS developers uses it for web developing)
>
> So, no.
>
> P.S. In other countries it may differ.

I think that he meant that most of the developers for dmd and the standard
library run *nix systems, and AFAIK, that's true. There are some who run
Windows (Walter does, and I think that Daniel does), but most of us
primarily use a *nix OS of some variety.

But overall, I don't think that the Windows situation with D is really all
that much worse than what you get on Linux. It's just that the folks running
Windows have a tendency to care a ton about stuff like IDEs that the folks
running *nix systems historically don't care much about. And for whatever
reason, even when we do have IDE support (e.g. VisualD), it never seems to
be enough for some folks.

D and its tools have improved quite a bit over the years, but there's always
something that someone isn't happy with.

- Jonathan M Davis