My first experience as a D Newbie

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Fri Oct 13 03:39:15 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 at 17:55:18 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 10/11/17 1:42 PM, WhatMeWorry wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 at 07:23:02 UTC, Peter R wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> +10  We need a walkthru of how to set up everything. It's like
>> a new cook being give all the ingredients but no recipe
>> instructions.
>
> I have to say as someone who uses mostly non-windows systems,
> these problems only seem to crop up for Windows developers.
>
> I don't know if it's a different expectation or a different
> mindset or something else.
>
> -Steve

I'm primary on Windows and I have never had any troubles setting
up D or getting an environment working, but that might just be
me. I did spend the first year of my D experience using
command-line and notepad++ only though; however recent years I've
used atom with some cmd hacking to setup my environment there. I
do have Visual D, but it's just not suitable for custom build
processes with multiple projects; especially not with dub.