D's open source approach

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 08:10:59 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 at 11:32:55 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 October 2017 at 07:54:19 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> By the reasoning in the essay, I don't expect this to be
>> solved for free: the solution is for the devs behind the IDEs,
>> Visual Studio, DlangIDE, etc., to charge money for a
>> streamlined process. Why hasn't this happened yet?
>>
>> There are such commercial support options for every other
>> major OSS language, someone will have to do this for D at some
>> point for it to take the next step.
>
> Something like Anaconda could serve as a business model. Free
> basic download, but then enterprise-level support and offerings
> for additional money.
>
> It doesn't even need to be offered as a profit-making entity at
> first. Charge enough to cover slightly more than costs
> (programmer time, etc.) and donate the rest to the D foundation.

+1

D is a very productive programming language for high performance
developments.

It already has its place in some successful companies.

And asking money for special customer support (training, etc) is
normal.

For instance, that would not harm the D community to have more
money involved in improving and extending D's standard library
towards nowadays' most common developer needs (GUI, networking,
db access, etc).