D on quora ...

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 21:02:23 UTC 2017

On 10/6/17 23:19, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 10/6/2017 10:19 PM, Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> What if we stop focusing on the C/C++ people so much? The like their
>> tools and have no perceivable interest in moving away from them
>> (Stockholm Syndrome much?). The arguments the use are primarily meant
>> as defensive ploys, because they compare everything to C/C++ and when
>> it doesn't match in some way or another the other language must be
>> deficient. They've already decided that C/C++ is the meter stick
>> against which all other languages are to be judged. Unsurprisingly,
>> nothing that is NOT C/C++ meets their exacting demands.
>>
>> I saw we ditch the lot and focus on the large languages where D can
>> get some traction (C#/Java).
>
> Or recognize that painting huge diverse groups as if there's a single
> brush with which to do so is a huge fallacy.  Consider that the two
> leaders, as well as a large number of the contributing developers, come
> from the c++ community and that's not a bad thing, but rather a big part
> of _why_ they came to D.
>
> As always, focusing on the users of the language tends to pay a lot more
> dividends than focusing on nay sayers.  Luckily, that's how things tend
> to proceed here, so yay for that.

I'll admit the last sentence was an error. However, my main point is
that we really need to stop worrying about other languages, and
specifically C/C++. That horse has been beat to death. I enjoy using D
and find it superior for many types of project. That's good enough for
me. :)

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender