D on quora ...

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:09:02 UTC 2017

> If the GC issue can not be tackled and even with the recent
> communication blogs, it still keeps showing up. Is it maybe not
> better to focus the marketing features that other developers (
> none C++ ) may see as advantages and slow draw then in? High
> performance web development package for instance. Vibe.d does
> not count because has not been seen giving any descent public
> performance in years ( like techempower or other sites ).

At the moment, for very demanding high-performance web
applications, the main choices are :
- Dart
- Go
- C/C++
- Java/Kotlin

This is somewhat confirmed by the following benchmark (despite
its well known flaws) :

https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r14&hw=ph&test=query

I think that D, with its fiber system and extreme execution
speeds, should already have everything needed to compete on the
same grounds as Dart and Go.

But only if :
- the fibers automatically uses all cores if allowed to do so;
- the GC problems is designed so that the server never hangs for
more than a few milliseconds IN THE WORST CASE (progressive GC)
- dedicated HIGH PERFORMANCE web server (cfr Go/Dart) and
database access (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Aerospike) libraries are
available, preferably as a standard library (like in Dart and Go).

And for the third point, I really mean high performance,
something that make D's implementation of the (silly) benchmarks
immediately go to the top of the chart.

If all that is already available, perfect :)

Then we just need to add the D version of the benchmarks, and the
marketing is done.

And moreover I'd be delighted to start using D instead of Go for
my next web server developments.