D on quora ...

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 17:14:48 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 at 16:29:22 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 October 2017 at 12:14:02 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
> wrote:
>>> If all that is already available, perfect :)
>> [snip]
>>> And moreover I'd be delighted to start using D instead of Go
>>> for my next web server developments.
>>
>> You can start now and get performance later? In fact you may
>> supply important benchmarks from your day to day usage.
>
> Ok. Still not convinced to use D instead of C++ for my personal
> use cases (games and other soft real-time apps), but I get the
> idea.

So are the problems you listed not important for the decision or
the answers are not convincing?

> Can you just confirm that D's fibers use most of the available
> processors/cores by default ?

There is no “by default” in any non-managed language. If you are
coming from C++ I’m really surprised to see this turn of phrase.

Speaking of defaults - Vibe.d is built on Fibers and has
muliti-core mode that scales. It may have some issues on huge
number of cores but it does work.

> I think this is quite automatic with Elixir's Phoenix framework.

I take it Phoenix framework is “default” in Elixir? :)

> http://phoenixframework.org/blog/the-road-to-2-million-websocket-connections
> (one more silly benchmark btw, they just open the connections
> without doing anything useful with them)
>
> Btw, when I say you can actually develop complete web servers
> in Dart and Go just with the components provided in the
> standard libraries, I really mean it, even if I personally also

I programmed in Go.
I also was part of Dart team for about a year.
So yeah, I know what you mean.

> use higher level external libraries/frameworks (from Github),
> which extend the lower level components of Go's standard
> library.

You can with C’s standard library. It’s all a matter of
perspective and amount of stuff in std vs amount of your code on
top.

IMHO what I see is that everybody goes on to invent a library
that is somehow better than std lib one.