D on quora ...

Laeeth Isharc laeethnospam at nospam.laeeth.com
Sun Oct 15 20:40:22 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 14 October 2017 at 22:43:33 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On 10/7/17 14:08, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

>> In a polyglot environment, D's code generation and
>> introspection
>> abilities might be quite valuable if it allows you to write
>> core
>> building blocks once and call them from other languages
>> without too much
>> boilerplate and bloat.  One could use SWIG, but...
>
> Oh dear, I seem to have accidentally set off a firestorm.
>
> Personally, I think there are better places to focus our energy
> than worrying about what the users of other languages think. We
> like D, that should be enough for us. The last line was
> somewhat tongue-in-cheek. There is no way we're going to
> convert C#/Java users either, and unlike C/C++ we cannot easily
> inter-operate with them.

If we can convert Pascal users, why won't some C# and Java
programmers be receptive to D?  Plenty of people have approached
D from Java:

https://dlang.org/blog/2017/09/06/the-evolution-of-the-accessors-library/
https://dlang.org/blog/2017/08/11/on-tilix-and-d-an-interview-with-gerald-nunn/
https://github.com/intellij-dlanguage/intellij-dlanguage/
(Kingsley came from Java).

Why can't we easily interop with Java and C#?  I didn't find
interop with Java so bad for what I was doing (embedding a Java
library via the JVM with callbacks to D code), and Andy Smith
found similar.

http://dconf.org/2015/talks/smith.pdf
(towards the end)

C# interop for what I am doing sees easy enough.  (I will
generate C# wrappers for D structs and functions/methods).

This work wasn't open-sourced, and nor did Microsoft send out a
press release about their use of D in the COM team.  But I spoke
to the author in Berlin (maybe you did too), and it wasn't so
much work to make it useful:

http://www.lunesu.com/uploads/ModernCOMProgramminginD.pdf

> Instead of worrying about how to get more people to come from a
> specific language. People will come if they see an advantage in
> D so lets try to provide as many advantages as possible. :)

Yes - agree with this.